Friday, May 30, 2008

Thing 15 Library 2.0

I read the first two articles: "Away from Icebergs" and "Into a New World of Librarianship." I'm happy to think that OCL is attempting to be a forward-looking institution and strives hard to remain both relevant and flexible to our customers needs. However, a part of me still loves the traditional idea of the library as a warehouse of knowledge (and the dustier, the better) but I know this is probably more for my love of history and scholarship than to any real technophobia. I probably would have been at home with the illuminated manuscripts being chained to the shelves. But public libraries in particular have to be responsive to what the public wants, and space limitations, if nothing else, keep us from being able to house stuff that "might be needed some day." I think our real challenge is the divide between those of us who want the most current technology/resource/service yesterday, and those of us who are more comfortable taking it slow and thinking things through, plus those few of us who tend to dig in our heels at the very thought of change. Fortunately, I think the Tech Challenge is doing a great job in getting more of us on the same page.

No comments: