Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Thing 10: Technology

Okay, I'm not a technophobe, but I'm not a technogeek, either. My tv is old, I still haven't purchased a digital camera, and someone gave me an I-pod and I haven't taken the time to figure out how to get stuff from the computer to the machine. It's shiny, though.

I'm wondering about this whole e-book thing and how it will affect not only libraries, but writers. I'm sure there'll be a standardized platform at some point soon, and that the things will be as user-friendly as the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," but what about copyright and proper compensation for the folks who actually write the books? I've downloaded some e-book novellas, only because they were written by friends of mine, but really, I like books on CD better. Podcasting is kind of cool, but I would think more of a marketing tool. Authors get the shaft more often than not from their publishers as it is (unless their name is Grisham, Steel, or King)and if stuff is proliferated in e-format, wouldn't it be as prone to being pirated as DVDs? So what's a poor midlister (or someone who just dreams of being a midlister) to do?

No comments: